Hi icon designers!
We just launched a new version of the search engine on Iconfinder! Yay! 🎉
The main goal is to improve the quality and relevance of the search results and help customers find the right icons.
Here is what changed and what it means for you as contributors.
1. Search results are ordered differently ↕️
New elements are now important when showing the search results.
- Icons with recent downloads rank higher - An icon that got a recent download is placed higher in the results. This prioritizes icons that are being chosen by customers today instead of icons that have had downloads in the past. This keeps the search results more relevant to the demand of today.
- Icons that have been featured rank higher - The Iconfinder team features icons that stand out because of their high quality, uniqueness, beauty, or because they are related to current trends. These will be placed higher in the search results. Read about how we feature sets.
2. New search functionalities 🛠️
- Customers can now search for designer's name, the family name, and the icon set name, besides tags. For example: "scenarium cat" will return icons of cats from the Scenarium icon family; "laura reen folder" will return folder icons by the designer Laura Reen.
- Customers can now search for styles and categories. For example "user glyph" returns user icons in glyph style.
- Search now corrects misspellings. A search for “ipohne” becomes “iphone”. “twiter” becomes “twitter” etc.
3. Explicit filter 🍆 ❌
Customers have the option to hide explicit content from their searches. These are icons depicting mature content which is unsuitable for educational purposes, younger viewers, or common work-place settings. Read more about it in this blog post or in this forum post.
4. Rest mode 🛏️
Icons that are highly underperforming will be gradually placed in Rest mode. These are icons that have been on the platform for several years and have not proven to meet any demand. Read about Rest mode.
5. Future changes 🌈
Here are the next things we have on our agenda:
- New filters and Sorting options
- Finding related icons more easily
- Negative keywords
6. What it means to you 🖌️
Because search results are rearranged, it is normal to experience a change in your sales.
Tips to improve sales:
- Spend time on tagging well. Good tags that are relevant to the icon help your icons show up in the right searches. Keep your tags between 3 and 7. Check out our tagging guidelines.
- Check your tags for misspellings.
- Name your sets well. Make sure your sets have names that are relevant to what the icons represent.
- Family names are important. Make them relevant to the icon sets included. Make them easy to remember too.
- Having good designer names can help customers remember you better. You can set a nickname using the “Company name” field in Your account.
- Check the Icon designer reports to stay up to date with the icon market and to know what icons are in demand.